Oil & Gas
The oil & gas industry has many areas where there is a need to respond and manage issues, threats, incidents and crises. These range from the everyday to potentially catastrophic events. The oil & gas industry has greater need of formal response management than most due to the wide range of different environments and challenges it faces.
The Upstream oil and gas sector presents probably the most demanding challenges of any industry.
The requirements of the Exploration side of oil and gas involve working in hostile and dangerous environments right across the Globe and utilising some of the most advanced and varied technology in use anywhere. This means that companies face a multitude of possible incidents across many areas.
- Employees travelling to some of the most naturally hostile locations found anywhere
- Threat of kidnap and loss of life in many areas
- Working environments that generate constant risk
- High accident risk at all times
- Potential for major catastrophe if any negligence (oil spills, explosions, fire, contamination, etc.)
- Constant threat from physical attacks, malicious attacks, terrorism, protest, etc.
- Security and cyber attack threats
- Full time Media attention due to Global warming / fossil fuel debates
- Serious reputational risk due to incidents being seen as severely detrimental
Organisations operating in Upstream need to have very well constructed plans for all types of incidents. They also need to be able to execute those plans immediately when an incident triggers a response. The seriousness of some of the incidents mean responses have to be able to address all aspects and that the correct personnel and resources need to be assigned and managed to prevent loss of control of the incident.
The Midstream oil and gas sector creates another area of major risk to organisations. The transport of raw natural resources from extraction to processing means potential for incidents that pose danger to both employees and the general public.
Pipelines mean risks to the natural environment and attract the risk of terrorist or other malevolent threats.
Road, rail and marine transport generate similar risks and threats as well as creating a need for a comprehensive transport management system.
Events to be considered include:
- Oil and gas pipeline security
- Malevolent threats
- Accidental damage risk
- Oil spills and gas leaks
- Transport management
- Road, rail and marine
- Incident outcome on company reputation
The Downstream oil and gas sector presents different but equally challenging demands for organisations.
The need to refine and process raw materials creates a volatile and dangerous working environment. It also has to consider the continuous risk of accidents or malice creating incidents that can have a major and catastrophic impact on people and the environment.
Likewise, managing the transport network of refined products is also one that carries risk to employees and the public, it is also open to accidents and deliberate malevolent threat.
CLIO provides a platform to develop and manage responses to all types of events, whether threats, accidents or any level of incident.
- Accidents at refineries or processing plants
- Direct malicious attack on refineries
- Incidents at storage facilities
- Accidents during transport of volatile materials
- Management of transport fleets
Downstream also has to consider the usual Corporate issues faced by all organisations such as day to day employee duty of care, cyber security attacks, reputation protection and so on.
CLIO delivers a single solution that can be used to respond to and manage all types of incidents however serious they are.